Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Great Adventure

As I sat around this Saturday afternoon with nothing to do, and no one to do it with; I decided that this was the perfect time to go on a big city adventure. Of course I picked the dreariest most drizzly day to embark on my journey. I packed a light bag with a bottle of water, my discman, 5 CD's (Van Morrison, Bob Dylan Double CD, Elliot Smith, The Strokes) an extra set of batteries, a book (Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman) and of course a camera. I set out on foot at around 1 in the afternoon and returned at my place by 6 o'clock. Along the way I learned a lot about the city I live in, and most of what I learned is essentially useless and unimportant.

Here's what I learned:
1) Haagen-Daaz is now selling cheap draft beer as well as ice cream, they've cornered the market on this

2) If it looks like it will rain, it will (and I will forget to pack an umbrella)
3) There are LOTS of funny signs in this world ( I don't care where you're diving, if you look like that when you dive you're going to hurt yourself....and XXX Dinner, count me in)

4) Street performers are the unsung showmen of society

5) When a place says they have the #1 Hot Dog in all of Chicago you should try them, but try two just to make sure (somewhere in there is a hot dog)

6) Miles of walking + cheap beer + hot dog combo meal + bad weather = Doug will sleep well tonight (only 4155 more miles to go)


Here are a few extra pictures (I took over 30 pictures so I'm not going to post them all):





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home