Saturday, December 23, 2006

This Is What the Holidays Are All About

...It must be Christmas when I'm huddled around my laptop watching episodes of Entourage. You know you've been filled with the holiday spirit when you watch an episode where Gary Busey describes "emotional confusion" as "running naked backwards through a corn field at midnight". My favourite part of the show are the random celebrity cameos and the name dropping that goes along with it. Example:

Jessica Alba: Hey guys, it's me Jessica Alba
Vince: Hey! Jessica Alba, so good to see you
J.A.: Would you guys like to come to my house for a party tonight. I'm Jessica Alba
Vince: Sure thing Jessica Alba, we'll be there
All in unison: Jessica Alba

I realize this is done to emphasize that the show has the power to draw celebrities such as the aformentioned Alba, but it always reminds me of our university newspaper. The reason being that one of our school newspapers was entirely for jokes, and one day they decided to put a tape recorder into a Student Council meeting and documenting the contents verbatim. The idea behind this was that by taking certain things out of context they would sound much funnier than in person. The favourite on campus was when one member of council with the last name Zwambag (I can't make this up) dropped her last name mid conversation in what made for confusing reading. Little did she know that this one simple act of name dropping spawned all sorts of Zwambag related jokes and even an award for grand party champion.....To make a long story short, name dropping is funny, and so is Entourage.

Christmas is also great because of my Advent calendar. When I got home from New Zealand on December 1st I found one waiting for me on my bed, placed there by a loving mother who has bought me one for the past 25 years..and who was severely threatened the year she thought about stopping the tradition. I'm lobbying heavily to have a yearlong calendar of chocolate. First of all, chocolate is delicious..and secondly, the only time of the year that I actually remember the date is from Dec 1- Dec 24. This is a great educational tool for children of all ages and should be expanded to maximize the learning experience/caffein intake.

In my excitement of learning how to post videos I've decided to add one from my trip to New Zealand as a holiday treat. It features a hungover British girl with a dirty mouth, Andrew talking about bungeeing and how that would affect him; and a discussion on American Thanksigiving as Patty, our American friend, walked through the camera.

Happy Holidays!

Reading: "The Potato Factory" by Bryce Courtenay
Listening To: "Was It You" by Donovan Frankenreiter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home