Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Drop That Puck - Blackhawks vs. Oilers

Sunday night I made it to my first hockey game this season and quickly realized that outside of Ryan Johnston, no one cares about the Blackhawks (sorry RJ!). I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go so I trekked there on my own and wound up sitting next to a Blackhawks fan who seemed to know a bit about hockey. The arena was maybe half full by game time. It really looks like the strike took it's toll over here in the States because hockey hasn't been all that big here so far. Doesn't help that the Blackhawks suck so far (Again, sorry RJ).

It was good to be back around a rink and the seats I nabbed were pretty good for only $25. First row of the first level. I think I stood out a bit, what with my Team Canada hockey T-shirt, belting of the Canadian National Anthem, and the only fist pump in the section when Fernando Pisani slammed home Edmonton's only goal. The Blackhawks won 3-1.

One of my favourite parts of going to the game itself is seeing some of the jerseys that fans wear. Kevbo and I were just joking about it the day of the game, and sure enough there were some classics on Sunday. There was a priceless Steve Larmer Hawks jersey (memories!!), and one of the handful of Oilers fans had a jersey with the name "Flames Suck" across the back....All in all a good night

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home