Sunday, August 27, 2006

To Nerd-dom and Beyond (or Mad Max Beyond Nerd-dom

For the first time ever I have officially spiralled down into the depths of sports geekdom and joined a fantasy football league. For those of you who are unaware of this sect of sports fan, they can be spotted with a calculator and the latest box scores complaining about how many "touches" Alge Crumpler is getting with the Falcons this season...It's the equivelant of mathmaticians discussing the actual value of pi (unless they are also concerned with Eli Manning's touchdown to interception ratio).

Anyways, it's a geeky hobby, and yet I've been really getting into it. The only problem was that the draft was on Saturday and I missed it. As a newbie, I'm sure my day would have gone something like this:

But instead, I was left at the mercy of the computer selection...The computer, I came to learn, has a great sense of humour. While he did manage to pick Peyton Manning, he went on to select everyone who has ever washed one of Manning's towels. And unless I get points for least number of grass stains and minimal perspiration it's safe to say it will be a long season...Updates to follow

On the adventure front, I will be heading back to Queen's for my first time since graduating. In two weeks I will be back at Homecoming, which some of you may remember as the site of a car burning last year. I'm not sure where I'll be staying when I actually get there, but when I asked my former roomate A.J. he suggested "the drunk tank". I can't see how this weekend could possibly go wrong.

Listening to - "Cathedrals" by Jump, Little Children (suicidal children apparently)
Reading - The Ludlum still...moving onto Faulkner

1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Nerd-dom...I have to point out that mathematicians (or as you ebonicly state, mathmaticians) would not discuss the actual value of pi. It has been known for approximately 250 years that pi is irrational. For the lay person (i.e., physiotherapist) this means that one can never 'know' its actual value. Of course, a mathematician might try (for fun!!) to compute it to some arbitrarily large degree of accuracy, but he (or she...yeah right) would be smart enough to know that they would never find its 'true' value. I realize that is probably what you meant....but in the interest of Nerd-dom I thought your statement should be more precise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home