Monday, December 05, 2005

Music Soothes the Savage Beast

In honour of a patient making me a CD entitled "Jazz & Latin Workout Mix" I've decided to make a list of some of the CD's I've been listening to obssesively since I've been in Chicago. The Jazz & Latin Workout Mix just missed the cut...but it's damn good! There may even be some Ron Burgandy on "yazz flute". Also, I've changed the comments section so anyone can leave a message. Let me know what you guys are listening to, cause I'm always looking for new music.


1) Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
All the songs on this CD have a good beat to them, a tempo that speeds up and slows down from song to song, excellent instrument play and British accents I'm not sure if I understand or not. Mostly I like this CD because the lead singer reminds me of Derek Zoolander when he disguises himself as the black janitor....but honestly, good album


2) Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave
Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree
Seeing as these guys are from Chicago, I've got to represent them to the fullest. While I like the first album more, they're both great. The first is more punk, while the second is more pop-punk. Kinda like Coke vs. Diet Coke. But Pete Wentz writes the best and most original lyrics. Take for example these lines from "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things To Do Today": Breaking hearts has never looked so cool/As when you wrap your car around a tree/Your makeup looks great next to his teeth/ Let's play this game called when you catch fire?I wouldn't piss to put you out
Ridiculous!!


3) John Mayer Trio - Try!
This is brand new live stuff from JM and finally he gets to play what he likes instead of stuff for all the tennage girls. This album is very bluesy, and he's backed up by a former drummer from the Rolling Stones, and a former bassist from The Who.


4) The Jimmy Swift Band - Onward Through The Fog
This is an old one that reminds me of Kingston and also my trip out east. The one thing about living in Chicago (or Windsor for that matter) is that I don't get to see their live show, which is one of the best I've ever seen. They're a great jam band with an awesome sound, and a 6 string bass! Marc, you need to see these guys at Smooth Herman's soon.


5) Kanye West - Late Registration
Although I like his first album better, anyone who samples "Diamonds are Forever" from James Bond and then proceeds to rap about Sierra Leone and conflict diamonds. Genius!


6) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
They're also from Chicago, and this CD is perfect for mellowing out


7) The Essential Bob Dylan (2 CD)
I'm sure that new Bob Dylan compilation in just as good, but I already own this one. And who needs to discuss Bob Dylan. He's a master

1 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home