Friday, November 17, 2006

I Met A Guy Named Bongo

Bongo is from California. I met him in Waitomo as he was ordering a 3 litres container of beer. I just wanted to let everyone know I met someone named Bongo...to me, this is pretty much one of my happiest moments.

Anyways, I made my way to Rotorua, which is pretty mcuh one big stinkhole. I didn't do a whole lot because once you've seen one thermal pool you've pretty much seen them all. Next was on to Taupo, a beautiful town located on Lake Taupo, the biggest of NZ and bordering the Waikato River, also the biggest in NZ. The view of the mountains out over the water was amazing! Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and I ws unable to do the Tongariro Crossing, supposedly the best one day hike in all of NZ. Apparently there were gale force winds and rain, and seeing as I'm so tall and skinny they were worried about me blowing straight off the top of the hill...a risk they weren't willing to take

Instead I made it out to the Huka Falls, a 50ft waterfall that was amazing in how fast the water travelled and with how much force it was moving. I followed this up with a hike to the Aratiatia Rapids which snaked their way through huge rock outcroppings. There is a dam blocking the flow of water except for 4 times a day, and so for me to see it actually happen was awesome. The hiking here has been great. The scenery seems to be ever changing. One minute will be up and down hills and mountains and the next will be through farmer's fields with sheep and cows staring at you...Sheep like to stare.

Cuurently I'm back in Auckland only to fly to the South Island to meet my friend Andrew and his friend Adam in Christchurch. From there we will be travelling together by car. I'm looking forward to the rest of the trip if only to have some friends along the way and to avoid the InterCity Coaches which had become my nemisis. So far it seems like I've enjoyed and disliked all the exact same things as Andrew...giving further credence to the fact that we are brothers from a different mother...This trip could be scary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home